I have been playing Candy Crush Saga created by King Entertainment for the past couple of years now. Initially, I used the Android app on my Samsung tablet, then synced it up on FaceBook and eventually my Galaxy mini smartphone.
In a nutshell, Candy Crush Saga is a video game, specifically a match-three puzzle similar to the classic Bejeweled. It was released in April 2012 online and November that same year for mobile. Each level has a minimum score and/or task required in order to proceed to the next one.
True to its name, the game’s pieces are candies in various colors, such as red jelly beans and yellow lemon drops. The other elements are also candy-themed, with chocolate, toffee and meringue among the obstacles, and with striped, wrapped and bomb-style candies among the power-ups. The main character is a little girl named Toffette, nicknamed Tiffi, who goes around Candy Kingdom helping its residents solve various problems, around which the gameplay unfolds.
Over these past years, I have picked up lessons from the game that can be applied in real life:
1. Real friends will get you out of a tight spot. They will give you spare chances, another try at the game, and they will help you move forward. To be a good friend, you must also help others out. Friendship is a two-way street, baby!
2. We have limited chances to reach our goals: limited moves, limited time, limited resources. We must look into our own selves for the solutions to our obstacles, not rely on nebulous power-ups and/or luck.
3. We sometimes have to step back, gather energy and strategy, and wait before we give difficult challenges another shot.
4. Every move has a consequence. You choose one way, and the other options might be lost afterward. Choosing right and thinking ahead are essential.
5. There are just some candies and jellies that are too sticky to eliminate. Bad habits die hard. Hammer them away (with a lollipop) – act now and don’t wait for the right combination or any bloody future date!
6. The quest never becomes easy. You just get tougher and smarter.
7. Keep your eye on the objective. Always make your moves toward your goal. All effort will be inconsequential if nothing happens when your time is up.
8. Finally, it won’t be so good if not for the challenging nature of the game. Life won’t be beautiful without its challenges, too.